Reviewed/Renewed January 2020
The Maine Island Trail Association (MITA) is a grassroots nonprofit organization created by and for its own members in 1988. While contemporary in its practices, MITA’s data collection and use policies aim to reflect this collegial culture and history.
SUMMARY: MITA collects minimal data regarding its members, most of which the members provide:
- MITA DOES NOT collect or store any data of a financial nature (e.g., credit card numbers, bank accounts). We use a third party financial transaction service.
- We collect contact information and minimal demographic information that you provide to us via our website or paper forms.
- We keep records concerning your MITA-related activities (correspondence, event attendance, transactions, participation agreements, stewardship activities, etc.)
- All of this information is stored in a cloud-based content management system (Salesforce) with a backup saved locally behind a firewall on a weekly basis.
MITA uses your information to serve you as a member and sustain the organization:
- MITA will not sell, share or exchange the data described above with anyone not working for us.
- We may share your email address with our Maine-based app developer (Chimani) solely for the purpose of generating a unique, encrypted app password for you to use to unlock the MITA App.
- MITA does not receive any single-user data from the MITA App; any occasional data we receive are in aggregate form without individually identifying information (e.g., annual download totals).
The MITA website utilizes typical web services.
- MITA does not collect personally identifiable data from those browsing its website.
- For those entering data, the website uses typical form-based data transaction tools; after two years, MITA deletes any copies of data stored in the form hosts.
- MITA uses Google products (GSuite) as its email service provider and Google Analytics to receive anonymous data on how visitors use the site.
You have control:
- You may “unsubscribe” at the bottom of MITA’s periodic group emails.
- You may review, correct, or remove personal information at MITA by sending a specific email request to email@example.com.
- Only if compelled by law to disclose sensitive information will MITA comply with any data disclosure orders.
This policy is reviewed and updated annually by MITA’s Governance Committee and displayed at mita.org/governance