On Saturdays each spring and fall, MITA coordinates a series of full day cleanups on a regional basis. Volunteers ride in our fleet of skiffs with experienced MITA skippers to clean island shorelines, taking a break for lunch and returning by mid-afternoon. Just a single day commitment, cleanups are a great introduction to volunteering with MITA and a chance to explore islands on the Trail.
- PFD (if you do not have a USCG approved life jacket, MITA can provide one)
- Rain gear (top & bottom)
- Warm, non-cotton layers: even on warm sunny days, it can be wet and chilly on the boat
- Sturdy footwear that can get wet- rubber rain boots with good traction work best
- Work or rubber gloves
- Sunglasses, hat & sunscreen
- Lunch & drinking water
- Enthusiasm for helping keep Maine’s islands clean and pristine!