By Madison Moran, Membership and Development Manager
The giving season is upon us! This blog post highlights the different businesses supportive of MITA’s mission and the unique gift opportunities they provide for the boater or adventurer in your life (besides gifting a MITA membership of course!). The businesses listed below are based on MITA’s member benefits list. The full list and details of MITA’s member benefits can be found here. If your business is interested is being a part of this illustrious list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The businesses are grouped by Trail region below – with a gift idea for each. Enjoy!
Photos: Eliza Ginn, Abbie Sewall, Dan Carr and MITA staff
- Kittery Trading Post is a great source for a gift card for the all-around outdoorsperson in your life.
- Lincoln Canoe & Kayak is not technically in Maine, but they are a stalwart of the local paddling industry. Nothing like a new boat under the tree!
- Good to Go is the “go to” meal of backcountry adventurers in New England – grab a weekender pack for your Weekend Warrior pal.
- Salt Water Workshop offers the perfect wintertime project – a kit to build your own Tolman Skiff!
- Get a gift certificate for a guided kayak tour with Alice’s Awesome Adventures, L.L Bean Outdoor Discovery School, Maine Multisport, or Portland Paddle, then have lunch at Dolphin Marina and Restaurant or one of Portland Buy Local’s Food and Drink options.
- Charter a cruise of the bay with Captain Lyman Stuart, Casco Bay Catamarans, Casco Bay Custom Charters, and Conroy Charters for next summer.
- Kids will love Rippleffect’s kayak camping programs, and learning to sail with SailMaine is for grownups and kids alike. Give the opportunity to learn life-long skills and confidence.
- Your friendly neighborhood kayak geeks will love shopping for high-end gear at Nanuq Kayaks on the Maine Wharf!
- Boaters need something to get them through the winter, and a subscription to one of Navigator Publishing’s magazines along with a few pounds of Adventurous Joe coffee should do the trick.
- Maine Maritime Museum sits right on the Kennebec River in Bath – a center of maritime history. Bring your history buff friend and impress them with an immersive experience.
- Laughing Gull Boat Charters offers chartered boat cruises in Maine’s midcoast region, with an eye for Maine’s hidden coast – working boats, cliffs, and secluded coves.
- Midcoast Kayak, Seaspray Kayaking, and Tidal Transit Kayaking offer guided trips in the Western Rivers region – just depends on where your gift recipient wants to go!
- All these activities would make anyone hungry – be sure your loved one has a few REDD bars in their bag.
- Maine Kayak Inc offers sea, lake, and whitewater kayaking, as well as rentals. Take a tour or rent a few kayaks and stay the night on a Trail site or at Ames Island Campground!
- If you’re in the Bangor or Camden area, or if you gift recipient is, Epic Sports or Maine Sport Outfitters are great outfitters in Maine’s Midcoast. Plus, Maine Sport Outfitters is a great MITA partner – not only do they house a MITA skiff during the summer, they also just listed their Maine Island Lodge in Muscongus Bay as a resource for next year’s Guide!
- Castine Kayak offers guided trips and rentals, as well as a comprehensive list of lessons, from training to be a Maine Guide to learning Wilderness First Aid Afloat (WFAA).
- Old Quarry Ocean Adventures’ owner Bill Baker not only helps MITA dispose of cleanup trash, but also maintains a campground right on the water in Stonington featuring hot showers, lobster dinners, rentals, and a cornucopia of knowledge. If there was a sea-kayaking mecca, this might be it. An overnight here is just the beginning of an adventure in this region.
- OffCenterHarbor.com – boat nerds, rejoice! This membership-based website features over 500 videos and 500 articles on boat handling, repairs, maintenance, boat building, dream boats and more. Get your loved one a subscription, and they will be entertained all winter long.
Especially For Big Boaters
- For the big-boat cruisers on your gift list, MITA offers discounts on moorings at Chebeague Island Boat Yard, Hinckley Yacht Services, Journey’s End Marina, Maine Yacht Center, Portland Yacht Services, Sebasco Harbor Resort, and Strouts Point Wharf Company.
- Those bluewater adventurers can outfit themselves for an expedition at Yarmouth Boat Yard, and make sure their boat is well-appointed with the savvy design skills of TACK studios.
That’s a wrap!